One of the leading innovative companies in the healthcare industry
The Pharmaceuticals Division, our largest in terms of sales, is focused on the following areas in which we aim to make decisive contributions to medical progress: oncology, cardiology, gynecology, neurology, infectious diseases, men’s health, ophthalmology, and diagnostic imaging.
With our innovative products, we seek to achieve therapeutic benefit for patients, while at the same time satisfying the growing requirements of physicians.
Our drug discovery researchers concentrate on the areas of cardiology, oncology, ophthalmology and gynecology. They are looking for either small molecules or biologics that could serve as new active ingredients. We continue to develop products even after they have been approved in order to optimize patient benefit through new delivery forms or a broader range of indications.
In the radiology area, we are concentrating on the development of IT applications, contrast agents and injection systems for low-radiation computed tomography (CT) and high-field magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to enable us to offer integrated solutions.
Innovation and Success with Outstanding Partners
Complementing our own research capacities are collaborations and strategic alliances with external partners in academia and industry. We are convinced that strong partnerships stimulate innovation and facilitate the joint development of new approaches that benefit patients. In recent years we have developed a variety of successful collaboration models, including research and development cooperations, license agreements, co-marketing arrangements, regional collaborations and acquisitions.
Our products help improving people’s quality of life;
- Therapies with significant clinical benefit in liver cancer, colorectal cancer, prostate cancer, and gastrointestinal tumors
- Products to prevent and treat venous and arterial thromboembolism
- Helping people with cardiovascular risk management
- Treatment for different forms of pulmonary hypertension
- A therapy for five of the leading causes of vision loss in the working age and elderly population
- A broad Women’s Healthcare franchise including contraceptives, menopause management, and gynecological therapies
- Anti-bacterial treatments to manage respiratory, urinary and surgical infections
- Well established therapy for Multiple Sclerosis
- Contrast media for computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Bayer supports leading organizations in the fight against neglected tropical diseases by providing active ingredients free of charge. The World Health Organization (WHO) uses our medicines to treat Chagas disease, which is widespread in Latin America, and African sleeping sickness. In partnership with the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi), we are examining whether the active ingredient emodepside (originally from the Japanese company Astellas) could be used to treat people with river blindness. Bayer is also currently developing a new formulation of the active ingredient nifurtimox in order to test a more individualized dosage. This should simplify the treatment of children, who are especially vulnerable to Chagas disease.
As the market leader in hormonal contraceptives, we have for nearly 50 years supported the family planning programs of a global network of governmental and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Through innovative partnerships, Bayer is thus helping to ensure that women in developing countries have long-term access to hormonal contraceptives.